Saturday, September 10, 2011

It's all about the process...

I have seen the "process pledge" button (see below my followers) on several blogs I read and I finally went and checked it out. It is a great concept! I am totally late to this band wagon, but considering that this is exactly why I started blogging in the first place I thought it terribly appropriate. The "process pledge" simply means that the blogger is interested in sharing ideas as they develop, not just the finished product of inspiration. I completely need feedback and the little people around here really don't care much about my obsessions I mean pastimes. My loving husband either rolls his eyes at me, states out loud that he really could not care less or comes up with some ridiculously difficult suggestion that would probably look great, but would be totally impractical.
Now ideally this feedback function should be taken on by a local guild or bee or other quilting group. I simply have not found time to be a part of the local quilting group scene. Inevitably the meeting times are bad partly because nearly everyone else in the group is at a different stage of their lives (no small children) and they can plan accordingly. I did head a charity group for a while but the members were few and whereas they were happy to and quite capable of piecing lovely blocks, they were not necesarily into the design process per se. I gave them patterns and color schemes and they made blocks. They would offer opinions about border colors and block layout when the time came, but that is not quite the same as a back and forth about ideas in their infancy.

So this is what I hope to do through my blog, get design feedback... Have a dialog. Of course for this to happen I actually have to get a little traffic on the blog! So this is the pledge and the list of questions to think about when contemplating design blog posts.



I, ________________, pledge to talk more about my processes, even when I can’t quite put them in the in words or be sure I’m being totally clear.   I’m going to put my thinking and my gut feelings out there.  

Do you have any new sketches to show?
Is this design inspired by a past quilt or someone else's quilt you saw (link, please)?
Does the color palette come from somewhere specific?
Are you trying to evoke a specific feeling?
Is this quilt intended for a specific person?  How did that inform your choices?
Are you following a pattern, emulating a block you saw somewhere, using a liberated process, or totally winging it?
What are you hating about this quilt at this stage?  What do you love?
Did you push yourself to try something new?
In working on the quilt, are you getting ideas about what you might want to try next?  What?  Did you sketch it?

Wish me luck while I try this out!

PS shocking I know... A quilt blog post with no photos!

1 comment:

  1. I like that. My tendency has been to wait until a project is complete to blog about it but I've been trying to talk more about the process.

    ReplyDelete